Kargopol is a district centre in the Archangel Region. It is situated 427 km to the south-west of Archangel and about 900 km to the north of Moscow. The town occupies the banks of the River Onega not far from Lake Lache. Kargopol had once a strategic location along rich trade routes. This fact facilitated stone building which today contributes to a special atmosphere of the old town. The Nativity Cathedral built in 1562 dominates the area as it is huge and impressive with five cupolas and an exhibition inside. Kargopol is famous for its crafts, clay toys, for example. Churches in neighbouring villages are of interest. Every year a bell ringing festival takes place.